07 November 2017

The Watcher on The Great Wall of China (Mutianyu)

The Great Wall of China - Mutianyu (2017)

It's been seven years since my first visit to Beijing, China and seven years since I made my dreams a reality, took that plunge and booked my first solo trip abroad. I never imagined I would actually go back to China one day but the opportunity came knocking and I took it without a second thought. A lot has changed in seven years and even though I had already been to most of the places we visited they had changed so much. A lot has changed within me to so even though the setting was familiar I was seeing everything with a whole new appreciation and perspective.

The Great Wall of China - Mutianyu (2017)

This was a nostalgic trip for me and also a chance to re-connect with my parents who I hadn't seen in almost 6 months. The trip was made possible thanks to my Dad's friends and work colleagues and I got to see a whole new side of him I'd never seen before and meet new people who showed us so much warmth and hospitality I couldn't help but feel humbled.

The Great Wall of China - Mutianyu (2017)

There's a photo in our house of my Dad when he was in his twenties at The Great Wall of China and next to it a photo of me at the same age standing on The Great Wall to, now several years later we made the journey there together as a family. As I had visited all the main tourist sights in Beijing before I made this trip about spending time with the family and showing them the places I had enjoyed and keeping them happy and hydrated in the Beijing summer.

The Great Wall of China - Mutianyu (2017)

Mutianyu has changed a lot in seven years, I remember travelling there down isolated roads in the mountains and being one of only a handful of people visiting but now it's much different! This is said to be one of the quieter sections of The Great Wall to visit however there were hundreds of people there that day. They had also built a brand new visitor center and a bunch of restaurants (including Burger King and Starbucks) and lots of souvenir shops. Seven years ago I remember us eating lunch in a local restaurant similar to a shed before we got to "The Wall" but on the whole journey there this time I saw so much construction, houses and new buildings it was almost like we had never left the city. It was a really interesting trip and I'm happy I got to spend it with my parents and tell them all about my solo adventures and share with them in person some of the amazing places I had been.



What places have you been to in the past that you would like to re-visit now?
Love & Adventures
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment