14 February 2018

Asian Dramas I'm Watching & Loving!

City Streets

I'll be honest I haven't had much time lately to watch anything so instead of mentioning the best of what I've seen I'll just be mentioning a few that I've actually completed. I normally watch at least drama a week in preparation for these posts (I know, I'm addicted!) but it feels like my life is becoming an Asian drama recently but at least I've got a huge catalogue of them to refer to while I'm going through my own drama! Be sure to leave some of your recommendations in the comments as I'm always looking for new ones to watch especially ones that aren't Korean as they can be hard to find.

วุ่นนัก รักเต็มบ้าน
During a trip to Korea Aom meets a superstar called Mike on the plane who she eventually has to turn to help after being tricked by her sister. Upon her return to Thailand she finds that her sister has sold her family house and all her possessions to none other than Mike. So in an attempt to get her possessions back, she enters a contract marriage with Mike for two years but what started out as a business relationship between them becomes personal as they start to develop feelings for each other. This drama is actually based on a Korean one of the same name, which I've heard is the quintessential romantic drama but I've never seen it so I can't compare the two but funnily enough while watching it I was thinking how much Mike D'Angelo reminded me of Rain and then I found out that Rain starred in the original so they chose their lead well! The storyline isn't really unique when it comes to the romance genre but I loved the characters and it was nice to see the chemistry between Mike and Aom, they worked really well together and I enjoyed the humour and softness between them. After seeing this Thai version it makes me curious to see the original and the other Asian remakes, so they'll definitely be added to my watch list in the future.


안투라지
You may be familiar with the popular America series of Entourage that follows a handsome young actor and his friends as they navigate the showbiz world and the Korean version is no different. I remember watching Entourage many years ago so I was curious to see the Korean version as there's been a trend in Korea lately with popular western series being remade, Criminal Minds also got its debut last year but I was searching for something a bit lighter and more humorous and Entourage did not disappoint. I really enjoyed the chemistry between the lead male actors and you really believe they've been friends for a long time! Entourage was popular for its cameos and the Korean version had many but my favourite was of course Amber from F(x) she's so adorable and funny as the CEO's assistant, I'd love her to do more dramas!


투모로우 보이
Ahn Tae Pyeong, is a young boy who lives for tomorrow despite the hardships life has thrown at him. He has lost both his parents and is in charge of taking care of his grandmother along with his four younger siblings but still maintains an energetic optimism towards life. I like breaking up my big drama marathons with these mini web dramas but I kinda wanted more from this one as it was just 5, 15 minute episodes and I feel like it would have benefited a lot in terms of plot and character if it was longer. N from VIXX stars in this one which was my main reason for watching and he's such a sweetie as the hardworking Ahn Tae Pyeong and I'll definitely be checking out more of the other dramas he's starred in. Overall the drama was short but sweet, maybe not something you must watch (unless you're a VIXX stan!) but it was an enjoyable easy watch none the less.


써클 : 이어진 두 세계
Circle is a sci-fi mystery drama is set in both the present day and the year 2037. As children twin brothers, Kim Woo-jin and Kim Bum-gyun, witnessed an alien coming to Earth which impacted the rest of their lives, now as a college student Kim Woo-jin begins an investigation into a series of suicides which are somehow linked to his brother. The second part of this series is set in 2037 on an Earth which is divided, where a crime detective wants to investigate the case of the missing twin brothers. This is one of my favourite genres and I think this is the first KDrama of this kind I've ever seen, right from the beginning I was hooked! I love how creative this drama was at presenting the two different worlds and it didn't feel overwhelming at all following the two stories. There was a nice contrast between seriousness and humour in both the worlds to, and the suspense as the story began to enfold and interlink was amazing. I'm surprised it was only 12 episodes though as normally Korean dramas run for twice that long, it seemed too way short to me but hopefully there will be another season made.


왕관을 쓰려는자, 그무게를 견뎌라-상속자들
The Heirs is about a group of young and rich high school students about to inherit their families business and their struggles, friendships, love lives, families and rivalries. This is a pretty old drama which a lot of people have probably already watched or at least heard of but I decided to give it a go as I've been missing seeing Lee Min Ho on my TV recently, now he's doing his military service, and needed something to fill the void. I do tend to find these sorts of dramas a bit boring and cliched (I feel like most Thai dramas have this exact same rich boy, poor girl, family drama storyline) but I found myself binge watching this one and I guess it was not just because of how adorable Lee Min Ho is but the other actors to, I really enjoyed all their performances. The scenes which they filmed in LA and San Diego were really enjoyable to and the scenery was so beautiful it really made me miss America! I kinda understand why this drama is scene as a classic now, while the story is quite cliched the performances of the actors really draw you in so it's definitely worth checking out.


What TV Shows have you been watching lately?
Love & Waffles
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment